In the year 1934, a barrio market or “talipapa” was established at barrio Buliran through the initiative of Mr. Valentin Umali. In their ardent desire to make the place more progressive, they petitioned the proper authorities to construct a bridge (now Godeo Bridge) connecting the two barrios to hasten the flow of goods and mobility of the residents, which was granted. The first Catholic Church was founded thru the able leadership of a very religious man, Mr. Julian Wagan. When Fr. Jose B. Cuevas arrived, the present Catholic Church was erected and constructed at its present site in a lot donated by spouses Patricio Lalusin and Rosalia Lacerna. It was finished during the time of Fr. Armando Palma.
The inhabitants of the community increased rapidly. Then politics came in, a dynamic leader from Barrio Niing, Juanito C. Wagan, son of Mr. Julian Wagan, ran and was elected First Councilor of Tiaong, Quezon. He represents the constituents of Buliran, Niing, Pury, Callejon and Behia in the municipal council. He sponsored several resolutions, such as, opening of new roads and construction of bridges, electrification and agricultural reforms. He also addressed the problems involving peace and order situation that made him famous not only in Tiaong but also in nearby municipalities.
In the year 1946, Atty. Andres Umali, known as “Heneral Dumas” first conceptualized the idea of making Buliran as an independent municipality. However, due to some politic issues, such idea was not realized. In the second term of Hon. Juanito C. Wagan as Municipal Councilor, he revived the idea of making Buliran and its neighboring barrios as an independent town. The petition was favorably acted upon and endorsed to His Excellency, President Carlos P. Garcia who issued an executive order to that effect. The creation of San Antonio as a separate and independent town from Tiaong, Quezon was embodied in Executive Order No. 270, s. of 1957, issued on October 4, 1957 by President Carlos P. Garcia. Through the suggestion of Fr. Calixto Jamilla, the newly created town was christened SAN ANTONIO. The executive order was formally received by Hon. Juanito C. Wagan on October 7, 1957 and was handed by Mrs. Nelly Umali Cabuñag.
On November 19, 1957 the following first set of local officials were appointed by President Carlos P. Garcia to head the newly created Municipality: Juanito C. Wagan as Municipal Mayor, Casiano Harina as Vice Mayor, and the following as Municipal Councilors, Jacinto M. Masangkay, Guillermo Cornejo, Pablo Castillo, Mariano Rizo, Ponciano Lacorte and Felipe Matanguihan. Mrs. Milagros M. Masangkay was appointed first Municipal Treasurer. They took their oath of office before Governor Leon G. Guinto on November 22, 1957. The inaugural session of the first municipal government was held on November 25, 1957 in the house of Hon. Juanito C. Wagan and served as the temporary seat of government until the construction of municipal building. The Municipal Building was erected and constructed at its present site in a lot donated by spouses Francisco Cuevas and Sabina Harina and Marcelo Casas and Rosenda Hernandez. The barrios composing the newly created town were the following: Poblacion, Arawan, Bulihan, Buliran, Briones, Callejon, Loob, Pury, Magsaysay, Matipunso, Niing, Pulo, San Jose, Sampaguita and Sintorisan. Later on five (5) other daughter were created, they were the following Bagong Niing, Niing, Sampaga, Balat-Atis, Del Valle and Corazon.